Monday, March 9, 2009

Star Maps

Because this game will be based in space I'll need a lot of starry backgrounds. I found some nice tutorials for making realistic looking star fields using GIMP and gave it a go. My first attempt came out with this:

The title picture for this blog currently, not to bad for a first go!

After that one I made a much larger black and while one to test some resolution settings:


And then I made a very simple star map filled with basic stars (good for deep space scenes):


So there some good initial tests. GIMP will certainly be able to make decent star fields for this game, I could of course use Blender for this as well, so I might give that a try sometime. These textures are going to be tilled onto background objects in the game, to give a nice background of stars, nebula and other spacey stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment